Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Away from Home

Monday and Tuesday saw me working away in the Bucks/ Oxon area this week. Now, regular visitors to this blog will have probably gathered that I have a bit of a soft spot when it comes to Raptors, with one of my personal favorites being Red Kite. Whilst travelling around on Monday, particularly along the A40 corridor I saw more Red Kites in one day than certainly anywhere else that I've been, both home and abroad! Saw easily at least 40 individuals including several wheeling low over housing estates in small towns and villages- you lucky, lucky bar stewards! Along with the kites picked out a couple of Common Buzzards and, at our digs for the night, a nice garden provided a little moth called Pyrausta aurata along with Grey Wagtail and some classic English countryside full of House Sparrows, Swallows and Greenfinches lurvely!

Pyrausta aurata

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying your blog - have only just come across it. I live in Sustead and am interested in, but with no great knowledge of, birds, so am amazed to see how many you have seen. Fabulous photos too.
Do little owls often settle on roads at dusk? - I think I saw one on the Alymerton Field Study Centre- Sustead road recently.
Don't stop blogging - really good to have something so local, knowledgeable and interesting.
Peter Maingay

Andy said...

Thanks for visiting Peter. Yes Little Owls do occationally settle on the road, both my wife and I have seen one in Sustead regularly playing chicken with the traffic. If you manage to get any photos of anything you're not sure of I will gladly try and help you out. Welcome aboard!