Sunday, January 21, 2007

Further Afield

With a bright winters day in the offering I decided to go a little further afield this morning, hoping to find some birds to digi-scope. My first stop was at Salthouse where I was hoping for some Snow Buntings to be feeding along the shingle bank (you have the sun constantly behind you here if they are) but alas I drew a blank, with the only bird of note being a Little Egret in flight then dropping,hidden, in one of the drains. I then went along to Cley and walked the famous East Bank. Looking across the reserve I re-collected some of the stunning birds I've managed to see here- Ross's (2) and Slender-billed Gulls, Red-necked Stint, Sociable Plover, Greater Sandplovers(2) Little Whimbrel, Pacific Swift, a hatfull of rare sandpipers and most recently the Black-eared Kite. Happy Days! This morning though it was very quiet and more disappointingly not a great deal was giving itself up for pic opportunities, especially not the Water Rail swimming across the corner of Arnold's Marsh! So I had to do with a couple of obliging (plastic?) geese and some scene shots.

Redshank


Egyptian Goose


Pink-footed Geese...just like the ones we see over Aylmerton, except on the ground!





Over looking Cley reserve and Cley Eye field from Walsey Hills- note where all the birds are-where I'm not!


Looking out to the old Lifeboat House on Blakeney Point. In the early 90's I was lucky enough to spend a year working for the National Trust on their property between Cley Coastguards and Stiffkey, best job ever-lowest pay ever!


Back home a pooch -walk up the Track revealed a good flock of c550 Golden Plover, 15 Fieldfare west and two Meadow Pipit

59 Meadow Pipit

No comments: