Friday, August 25, 2006

Mid week Moths

Managed to run run the trap for a few hours Tuesday this week and added another three species to the garden year list for macro moths (160). Several Square spot- Rustic, a couple of Centre- barred Sallow and a single Twin- spot Wainscot

Square-spot Rustic


Centre-barred Sallow


Twin-spot Wainscot



This summer has certainly been a great one for Hummingbird Hawkmoth ( I saw another while at work today) and have even managed to make it in to the National newspapers (not sure where they get the 3 inch wingspan from though!) but unfortunately when they are in the garden they never appear when I have my camera to hand. However they also appear fairly regularly at my parents house and my mum managed to catch this one on her new go-gadget camera... not bad, not bad at all!

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

1 comment:

nicola said...

I counted 3 in my garden late afternoon, managed to get one photo. Not so sure will see any today as its a very dull day, plus raining..oh well