Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday

Very little of note down my local birding patch this morning except for another appearance by presumably the same Merlin. I decided to go a little further up the coast to Salthouse where some rather confiding Snow Buntings were present along the shingle bank and were proving very photogenic until my battery rather prematurely died on me!


Snow Buntings at Salthouse

Snow Bunting


Snow Bunting in the Sunshine!

Had a walk along the southern side of the parish boundary this afternoon and checked the winter cover crops planted for the game birds. No hoped for Brambling (which I have seen here before) though 25 Chaffinch and 8 Yellowhammer were present. The hundreds of Wood pigeons we have here at the moment were a bit jumpy, and sure enough a Peregrine appeared over the fields and started soaring to gain height before moving off west. Our second sighting this year.



Yellowhammer at Aylmerton

No comments: