Monday, October 06, 2008

Blyth's Reed Warbler- Nailed!

Lady Luck was my baby today after a message first thing announced a Blyth's Reed Warbler at Wells Woods, a look in my works diary had me at Wells mid to late morning! After getting work issues out of the way I headed down to the pine woods where I piled the pressure on by actually paying the £3.50 carparking fee!!! I had to see this bird now! Scooting along to where aload of birders were standing on the edge of the woods I stood downwind as it were from where the bird was showing and sure enough the BLYTH'S REED WARBLER gave good albeit brief views as it lumbered around in the bramble tangle. A conspicuously grey bird with the short winged profile and short pale superscilium evident and was fairly vocal too giving two or three harsh 'zzick' call notes in short succession. Alas no pics, but for any non birders, think of a female skinny female sparrow with a thin beak- but less colourful!!

No comments: