Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Another New Damselfly

Yesterday work took me over to the Broads, so on the way back I thought it high time I visited the NWT reserve at Upton Fen. Now this reserve quite rightly is well known for it large selection of Dragonflies, and in particular the rare Norfolk Hawker. Unfortunately I think I was probably a couple of weeks late, because although there were plenty of Odonata about (including a fair few Brown Hawker) I certainly couldn't pick out any of the green -eyed Norfolk's. However I did manage to pick out two or three Variable Damselfly which were quite distinctive with more black on the top of the thorax than Common Blue and Azure with more of an exclamation mark rather than a solid blue line running through it. There is also a 'goblet' marking on the first segment which you can just about see in the pic. Other inverts seen here included Common and Ruddy Darter, Migrant Hawker, Black-tailed Skimmer and lots of butterflies, including many Peacock.
Variable Damselfly


Dragonfly exuvia ('shell' of nymph stage after emerging)

Pyralid moth cataclysta lemenata

No comments: