Wednesday, September 24, 2008

'Siberian' Stonechat

My last appointment today took me into the next village to us, West Runton. With the days work done and a few minutes before having to rendezvous for a hospital appointment, I took a look in at the rough ground next to the coast road. After watching the local Med Gull I saw a couple of Goldcrest come flitting across the fields and decided to look over the top bank onto the enclosed private area. Immediately, a Stonechat flitted up, pale, peachy washed with a broad pale rump joining the underparts! I instantly shouted 'Siberian Stonechat' to absolutely no one present! I was just going 'in' when I was unceremoniously 'thrown off' this private land.

Siberian Stonechat




showing blackish underwing coverts


wrap around unstreaked rump enhancing black tail




overall warm gingery tones to plumage

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy

well done, top find - I guess farmers aren't really into Sibechats!

a nice bird... suggested this to my fellow patcher as a possible today...

hopefully we'll get one or something similarly good on our patch, been a while since the last Sibechat in the east.

Andy said...

Cheers Tim, must admit I was well chuffed! I love finding my own stuff, it just doesn't happen that often!