Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mystery Bird (or is it?)

So I stop for some lunch on some high ground just outside Northrepps and scan for birds. Almost immediately I pick up a Common Buzzard high up against the clouds and can hear a distant mewing. Watching this bird, a second appears, head on in the same area. Looking a little longer winged than the presumed adult I figure this may be a juvenile (they appear slimmer than the adults when fresh). Then it turns. "W.T.F!!!" out loud, as it shows an extensive white tail base (not pale or diffused but dazzling white!) with a clear cut, demarcated, black terminal band! I've seen Common Buzzard with pale tail bases (I look at every Buzzard I see!) but nothing like this! (Although they do occur, see below) This bird has now got my full attention ! Underneath though the bird is pale, too pale maybe for the other, highly unlikely candidate, but that tail is still screaming at me. I manage a very distant pic, cursing the fact that I don't have my 'scope with me, and as quickly as I found it, I lost it - raptors, never was any good at 'em!
Some comparison images blattently stolen from the net...
Common Buzzard by Brian Small.....


gorgeous Rough-leg, somewhere in Russia.....
my pale, screwed up, (short handed!) thing.... a Common pretender? (Pump it up to 200% if you can't see the speck!)

No comments: